Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Your impressions of DVD-A vs. SACD....

...may be the result of the equipment you use. I use a Pioneer 578 for DVD-A, which it does remarkably well...almost as good as the Arcam DV-79 which is the best I have heard. However, it does much less well with CD and SACD. Compared to my Sony C222ES SACD machine, the Pioneer SACD looses ambience and transparency to a noticeable degree (I should note that I use the Sony's multichannel direct output, bypassing all digital processing). I get the same effect when I run the Sony with digital processing used (5-large)as the Pioneer, although not to the same degree. On redbook, the sound of the CD through my DTI Pro / Proceed DAC is much clearer than either machine.

The point is...if your machine is optimzed for DVD-A, it will probably sound better than that same machine playing SACD, which it probably converts to PCM. Likewise, if the machine is optimized for SACD, it probably isn't optimized for DVD-A if it plays it at all. And a good redbook machine or outboard rig can probably beat them both when it comes to redbook reproduction.

You don't state your equipment, but it is possible that if you used different gear you would end up favoring SACD over DVD-A. Possible, no?
Harry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.