Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Thanks for the link. I have one Ryko disc so far.......

Hi HFC

***"Tropical Surf".***
This is one of the most difficult to drive in the series (I think it's Hawai). The waves are extremely difficult for my system.
In the series, I would recommend Dawn Chorus (Amazonian Rainforest) as one of the most interesting nature recordings, although in this case I have no idea what the reality sounds like. But it's a fascinating listen, with litterally hundreds of insects and birds waking up and building into a gigantic chorus. Pretty wild, excellent sound.
And also I would recommend the Cape Cod series (Babbling Brook, Shower Rain, etc).

Thunderstorm (not in the same series, but also on Ryko) is one of the best tests for woofers and subwoofers (I could never get the thunder to sound right with less than 30cm woofers, and had the best results on old Celestion and Spendor speakers).

***Laserlight's nature CDs have consistently sounded good and are mixed/produced well.***

I bought several box sets from them, but I find that the recordings are 'dramatized' a bit in some of them. The Ocean one is also very difficult to drive on my system. I enjoyed a Frogs disc (no kidding)a lot for a while, but it used to drive my girlfriend crazy :)

*** Thunderstorm at Night.*** I have it, but I prefer the Ryko one, no special effects, just days and days of patience to obtain the best possible sound.

***My latest vegetable music :) find is by Brian Eno***.
Good grief, you could get lynched for calling Brian Eno 'vegetable music' in some circles. That was one of the first Ambient records (he actually coined the word). He's done a lot of better stuff after that, one of my favourite is The Pearl, with Harold Budd (but beware, it can fry your sub). Music for Airports was published in SACD, I never found it though.

***Not that I'm complaining, but anybody else wonder why there are so many relaxation recordings available these days?***

I don't know what you call relaxation recordings, but the main problem is quality, not quantity. There is a lot of pretty spaced-out Electronica stuff going on in Europe, especially in the Scandinavian countries: if you liked Future Sound of London (Lifeforms), try anything by Mum (eg "Finally we are No One"), Boards of Canada (esp. "Music has the Right to Children"), Biosphere (esp. "Substrata"), and many, many others. It's definitely not trip hop or lounge, it's a lot deeper and continues to build upon the works and ideas of people like Brian Eno.

There's also some pretty tripping stuff in the "glitch" movement (sometimes called "bleep hop"), mainly in Berlin and in Scandinavia. But that's a more experimental route to explore. If you want to test the waters, there's Pole ("2"), and good compilations on Mille Plateaux: Clicks & Cuts (I, and II). But beware, this is no easy listening...

All of that is available on Amazon. If you need more precise suggestions, let me know.

Best

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thanks for the link. I have one Ryko disc so far....... - Eric LeRouge 14:54:40 02/01/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.