Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

My new writing gig

FWIW & YMMV, I am now writing not only for my own blog The Tannhäuser Gate, I have a new online writing gig, believe it or not, for a car insurance company's media subsidiary.

Hagerty Insurance is the major insurance company for collector and special-interest cars. They have a very vibrant media operation. Their printed magazine is printed in press runs of 600,000 (according to their media kit).

My (online and emailed) columns will discuss various genres and styles of music in the context of Qobuz playlists I will be putting together. My first column covers jazz. The next two, female vocalists. The one after that, piano.

Putting together these lists is both fun, and it also is an object lesson in how idiosyncratic my own tastes are. I am amazed that nobody (so far) has dinged me for choosing three Creed-Taylor-produced albums in a row... but before you scream, please check out the albums. Hint: the first is "Jazz Samba."

Even if you already know all those albums, I think that taking a look at this column will be worthwhile, in that I bravely attempt a general definition of what "jazz" is. There are of course exceptions to every kind of rule, but, having a workable definition IMHO beats "Jazz is whatever you feel it is."

ciao,

john

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - My new writing gig - John Marks 18:08:56 12/07/20 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.