Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RoomPerfect and DSP Generally

My experience with RoomPerfect was dire but perhaps I was unlucky. I had a loan Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 amplifier that I was hoping would offer good things, specially as it included RoomPerfect. It was pretty good as an amp without RP engaged, but after running the microphone procedure a few times, I found the resultant effect was that the life was sucked out of the music. A weedy sound seriously lacking in bass.

My next amp may be a NAD M33 when it's released and this has Dirac. I'm somewhat sceptical of all these "room correction" systems, but I'll certainly give Dirac a chance to convince me. Apart from RoomPerfect, I've used a Micromega amp with MARS (this did make a small improvement with its properly calibrated mic) and Martin Logan 13A speakers with their included Anthem system (not convincing).

I wonder whether these room correction systems will lead to poorly designed speakers. A lazy manufacturer (or one without a big R&D budget) may think that as long as every frequency can be reproduced by one of the drivers he includes, why bother to even attempt to design the cabinet, crossover circuit, etc to achieve a linear result? Leave all this to DSP and this will not only resolve shortcomings of the speakers, but also the room. Job done with no real effort by the designer. I'm not suggesting that respected present-day speaker makers will do this, but it may offer opportunities for building "good sounding" speakers that are basically crap and totally dependent on DSP to sound anything other than dreadful. Discuss!

Edits: 04/09/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.