Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Stereophile now only gives five stars to MQA encoded recordings ...

...and/or those issued as SACDs.

Yes I am being deliberately provocative but Jason Victor Serinus in the November issue reviews the new Harmonia Mundi Debussy Late Works recording and says that he is witholding the fifth star due to " The lack of an SACD release or an ultra transparent MQA version". The fact that he reviews a 24/96 WAV download which he otherwise seems to find offers complete tonal beauty and wide dynamics seems only to provide a justification for 4 stars. Ultimately it seems that the medium is the message. There is also the implication that an MQA'd release must inevitably be preferable to the hi-res original ( even if he hasn't heard it).

Of course as AFAIK only UMG and Warner currently encode MQA recordings* (but mainly for supply for streaming to Tidal) and no majors and few independents now issue SACDs, any opportunity to secure a five star review has been removed for the majority of releases.

* I am ignoring a couple of boutique labels on purpose as being too insignificant.

Edits: 10/10/18

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Stereophile now only gives five stars to MQA encoded recordings ... - PAR 10:19:42 10/10/18 (53)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.