Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Should a professional review mention what speakers are used.....

...when the item under review contains an amplifier? I ask because Stereophile's review of the Naim Uniti Nova in the most recent issue does not mention what speakers are used in the review, and I'm not sure if this is an abdication of journalistic responsibility, or something that really doesn't matter if the writing is entertaining and engaging.

After all, the review is otherwise well written and quite interesting. But the quality of bass is discussed, and comparisons are made to Shindo seperates (again, the specific models are not named). One would think that the speakers used would matter to these outcomes.

It is kind of a hoot that the writer, Ken Micallef, takes Naim to task because their literature is "light on facts" and then doesn't mention what speakers he is using.

I'm just interested in what readers think, less interested in the audio press, Stereophile employees, and audio professionals opinion of this one.

Edits: 02/18/18

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Should a professional review mention what speakers are used..... - viridian 15:36:17 02/18/18 (132)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.