Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I'll support that

Sure, I have my issues with some of the reviews (but I have issues with all reviews!), and, having lived through various failed formats, am deeply skeptical of MQA. However, what John Atkinson appears to be doing is using the print magazine to build an audiophile community, with a big web presence, lots of activity in the "meat space" and so on. JA and his buddies exude is a sense of exuberance and enthusiasm about high-end audio. Mike Fremer, who certainly could be a snob given his ownership of stratospherically-priced equipment, seems pretty focused on value in his reviews and in making the hobby accessible to people whose budget is a lot smaller than his.

And, I should add, it's about the music, too. Introducing people to music, and the concept of "listening" as a valid activity (just like reading or watching video) is essential to justify the kind of money that people spend on equipment. I like the fact that the websites have a lot of material about the music too, even if I find Stephen Meijas's taste a little bizarre. de gustibius non disputandum est and all that. The old, and denigrated, "Stereo Review" used to spend a fair amount of time on recordings, and it's thanks to them that I was introduced to, for example, Mabel Mercer, Earl Hines and Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band (surely the most original pop record of the 70s).

AFAIC, it's all good. There are too many old guys (I include myself), and we need to be replaced by younger folks (and more women!) if this hobby is to continue. The snobbishness and "connoisseurship" of the late, not so great, HP is not what the audiophile community needs.

In addition to all that, it seems like Mr. Atkinson works his butt off, too. For an old guy, that's no small thing. Ya gotta respect that!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.