Critic's Corner

I guess that's the wording that prompted our replies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Critic's Corner ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

It's not really a question of digital "not doing its job" if that has anything to do with reproducing high quality music.

It largely has to do with other factors such as:

1. Nostalgia and nurturing fond memories of yore
2. Leveraging existing equipment investment
3. OCD enjoyment of the playback ceremony of looking at, handling, cleaning, and cueing vinyl
4. Collector status of large physical media with artwork

I'm in no hurry to sell or replace my collection of forty years and still have two turntables, but then I haven't purchased a new title in years. Especially since all of them would be digitally sourced, why?

I was in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and visited a cool record store that actually had some new content including a soundtrack that I already have in 24/44. I just couldn't think of a good reason to buy it.

edit: An analogy would be Harley-Davidson motorcycles. There is not a single performance parameter in which they excel vs modern designs. Except for the low volume Porsche designed V-Rod, all of them use antique 45 degree V-twin motors that are inherently out of balance, have poor cooling and less than stellar reliability as compared with rest of the industry. What made sense in 1906 with the twin producing 7 HP vs 4 HP for the single motor is no longer relevant in any evaluation of performance or ride quality. Racing? They can only compete with themselves on dirt tracks.

And yet, they thrive. Why? Nostalgia. Image. Perceived prestige. Cool guy status. Tim Allen grunt envy. "I want to have my fillings shaken loose with a hardtail!" Overweight dentists wanting to don their steed wearing a do-rag. And lots of accessories including H-D logo panties for the little lady.

I will acknowledge, however, that they do excel at one thing: resale value. :)

Edits: 04/19/17

Follow Ups: