Critic's Corner

RE: The DB Testers are Making Me Crazy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Critic's Corner ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

No if you read the link I posted - the fellow was in the business of modifying (adding tubes) various pieces of gear - and he took it apart and found that Theta just put a whole machine inside their own.

Review publications raved about this player (and likely never looked inside) because they say stuff like - "based on a Philips LD machine"

Based on and having an entire machine put inside (the Philips case and all) is not "based on."

It would have been nice in the Theta's case for the reviewer to go out and buy the Philips machine and compare them sighted and blind given that Theta's contribution to this is about $5 and cheap sheet metal.

As Fikus noted - he felt that Theta's contribution if anything made the sound WORSE.

The Japanese heavy weight who hires REAL engineers who actually invented the CD and LD format did all the work - and 2 bit hacks at Theta (who probably have no degree in anything) come along and basically are out to make a fast buck on unsuspecting people.

This is exactly why the term Audio Jewelry terms started to come about - take something else - rip it off - put in a nice case and upcharge many times over. And when reviewers start touting this stuff - it is assumed that it was checked thoroughly.

This is just one that got caught by a Fikus. how many others are pulling the same sorts of things. I know of several companies making stuff in China for instance - and imply that they don't. One company that also gets good reviews in the US press claims they invented a hybrid technology of CD but in fact the CD player already existed at least 4 years prior - the exact same machine! And the hilarious part is that the tube isn't even part of the sound - all it does is look pretty.

Fikus pulled that CD player apart. Hybrid? hahahaha. It's a solid state CD player and one tube does nothing and the other is a buffer stage to distort the sound after the OP amps.

Anyway, I think a lot of subjectivists should not leave their brain completely at the door and trust the makers and reviewers. Don't latch onto every new technology that comes down the pike so they can sell you your music collection again.

Stuff like the Theta Data makes me sick and it makes the high end look like a joke.

Follow Ups: