Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Daniel

If someone says they don't understand the technology I believe them especially when they say on the gearslutz site July 5, 2017 they find "the technology plausible and intriguing," "I like the way it sounds," and "listen to MQA." If you look at Jim Austin's writings and posts about MQA he supports MQA but consistently says things like "I haven't made of my mind yet." He opens himself up to criticism by saying he doesn't understand the technology, hides his support for MQA when everyone who opposes MQA know there are only two members of the press who have opposed it openly and calls a manufacturer an "idiot" who said the path MQA Ltd followed was barking up the wrong tree to improve digital playback. I don't have problem with what supporters of MQA write about it but be honest about your support. There seems to be little doubt that what Kal Rubinson wrote about MQA is a critical as Stereophile will ever get. And yes my letter does advance an argument because Jim has been consistently critical of the arguments by those who oppose MQA. A personal favorite is "Much of what I'm seeing in this thread-(deleted refers to a poster)- suggests that critics have not done their homework." If you criticize people saying they haven't done their homework then it is fair to expect Jim to do his homework. And since he doesn't understand the technology I offered him some assistance by pointing out some topics that should be fairly addressed in his series.

I find it funny you can't say John Atkinson penned MQA represents "the birth of a new world." Is that being a gentle soul or are you too weak to criticize him? I criticized John in the comment section of Listening 166 but I didn't hide. I introduced myself on the first day of RMAF 2016. It turned out to be my reentry point to the technical side of high end audio because a lot of speaker designers agreed with me. I'm sorry Daniel but I don't find the advice in your post of much value because I personally haven't said anything online about MQA to anyone I would not say the same thing to face to face. The only difference is face to face I ask questions. You should hear things audio journalists have said to me face to face.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Daniel - rt66indierock 09:52:19 11/18/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.