Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I think it would be highly worthwhile . . .

for Austin to include Brian Lucey's take. Here he is in the fairhedon interview:

"It's definitely a lossy codec, that was clear. And like Mastered for iTunes or any reduction scheme the losses are in critically important areas. Where as mastered for iTunes is harmonically cold and loses some low volume/low end information, actually altering the groove to make everything sound like a nerdy white wedding band, MQA brightens the high-mids in the Mid section while thinning the low-mids on the Sides. There's also some harmonic distortion which some people could find pleasing, If I want that distortion in the master I would've put it there in the first place. The results of MQA I would call fatal to the source material even as they are very subtle."

Assuming JA's "birth of a new world" demo was a fair comparison from the same master with levels matched, perhaps this explains his preference? Not that there's anything wrong with preferring colorations . . .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I think it would be highly worthwhile . . . - Beetlemania 07:28:44 11/15/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.