Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Arthur Salvatore

Mr. Salvatore stands out among other reviewers, for me, since he will explore what's inside the box. He is not dazzled by cosmetics and nonsense paragraphs.

Who else in the world of audio would use a JADIS phono preamp taken to its barest minimum, basically a DYNA PAS 3, so he could get the benefit of a power supply he finds to be the most musical? I admire that. That is what a man searching for a music system would do. Not willy nilly inserting various boxes into his system in the vain hope of finding something usable. Salvatore understands SYSTEM. These are superior to collections ...

I do not know anything about Mr. Blume and have never heard a COINCIDENT component but I can see what they are made of and how they are priced. They look like bargains compared to stuff sold in dealers since they are sold direct. This is an obvious thorn in the side of dealers and those who supply them. I have nothing against audio shops and I miss them being around but for most of us the opportunity of getting gear of the quality of COINCIDENT at the price they are sold for is an obvious great benefit.

Salvatore is not one of those who MUST pay the highest possible price for a component to feel it is worthy. I am grateful he has extolled the virtues of COINCIDENT. I am DIYer for the most part. I will never buy many fancy boxes but if I needed a phono amp I know the COINCIDENT would be the first one I would consider since Salvatore says it comes closest to his tweaked ideal. Yes, I wish I knew the details of the JADIS power supply!

The COINCIDENT thing has never bothered me. Certainly doesn't bother me as much as knowing of the permanent loans of expensive equipment in the Pearson household in the old days. Now if something ever looked suspicious ... Nonetheless, I know Pearson would not have used the gear if he did not think it was good. Are people trying to say that Salvatore's friendship with Blume makes him think the COINCIDENT components are better than they are? Well, anything is possible.

Salvatore stands out for me because he not only auditions gear but he tries things to hear what happens. He is the least lazy reviewer the audio world has ever had and I think his love for music is unequaled.

Salvatore's search for good sounding gear is to satisfy a need for good sound in the home not to have the latest box on his shelf. He is passionate about music but dispassionate about gear and that is how it should be.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Arthur Salvatore - rickmcinnis@dogwoodfabrics.com 12:30:21 10/06/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.