Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Questions for JA on the "sound" of truly "time-aligned" speakers with perfect step response

Hi John:

Over the years you have tested several speakers which displayed a near-perfect right-triangle step response on the design axis. Most of the older ones (Vandersteen, Dunlavy, Thiel, Meadowlark come to mind) achieved this effect through the use of stepped/slanted baffles and first order acoustic crossovers. More recently, the Dynaudio Focus 200 and Kii Three powered speakers have achieved the same effect through digital delay of the highpass via DSP crossovers. (Interestingly, I haven't seen any coaxial drivers, KEF or whoever, exhibit such perfect time alignment).

So I'm wondering, have you in your listening detected any characteristic sonic quality associated only with such designs, that distinguishes them from conventional non-time aligned speakers? A more "coherent" presentation, such as their designers claim?

Also, do you find the vertical listening axis yielding the flattest response to be narrower than, or about the same as with conventional designs?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Questions for JA on the "sound" of truly "time-aligned" speakers with perfect step response - Brian H P 11:12:51 09/19/17 (23)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.