Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Question for JA: Why no colored vinyl LP advocate at Stereophile?

Hello Mr. Atkinson, I have been a subscriber for decades (2+) and find myself not enjoying the magazine as much as I should. My problem is that I find my main listening format, vinyl LPs with colored vinyl or picture representations, frequently being dissed by the likes of Michael Fremer or Art Dudley. I know that they may say nice things about an early Japanese Beatles pressing on clear red vinyl in a review, but then the next issue usually has rant by one or both about how terrible picture discs sound or how superior black vinyl is.

I'm OK with that, they should enjoy whatever they enjoy, but how about a kind word for colored vinyl once in a while? An actual advocate for picture discs on staff would be even better. Someone who, like me, enjoys watching holograph images emerge from their LPs whilst drinking a nice cold brew and grooming our beards.

I know that you listen primarily to colorful vinyl, or discs with high resolution digital photographs fused between to clear layers of magic plastic, but that seems to be a bit of a dark secret at Stereophile. Why is that? Why don't you have a writer on staff who enjoys the sound or red, blue, yellow or even multiple colors whirling around? As you know, teal, maroon, and even chartreuse, can sound great and I'm sure that many of your hipster readers listen primarily to liquid filled clear vinyl limited edition LPs on their Crosley decks. I'm sure you could find someone willing to do the job.

___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Question for JA: Why no colored vinyl LP advocate at Stereophile? - JoshT 09:55:52 08/12/17 (25)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.