Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: That's why

'I stopped attending amplified concerts decades ago.'

My last concert was Allison Kraus and Union Station in 2007. It was so loud that even at 100 yards from the stage it was painful. The bass was EQ'd up more than any rock concert I have ever attended. This kind of sound for an acoustic band and I just dropped $100 for the privilege of damaging my hearing? No thanks. I actually left the concert after about 20 minutes and waited in the car for my friends.

These days live music is confined to the Symphony or small jazz clubs with little or no sound reinforcement.

Here in KC we are awfully proud that we have the loudest stadium in NFL football. Peak levels of around 138dB. The local news makes a big deal of how neat this is after every game. Cool! Naturally they fail to mention that everyone that attended the game without hearing protection went home with some permanent hearing damage. Buzz kill I know.

I never leave the house without hearing protection and keep a box of foam ear plugs in the car. Way too many places with damaging levels of sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: That's why - kentaja 05:50:34 07/17/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.