Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I was strongly influenced by him as well...

>> So I was using Aczel's bi-amped Dahlquist reference system until the next issue of TAC came out when he traded in the DQ-10s for LS3-5as <<

Great story, thanks for sharing! The funny thing to me is that the DQ-10's were overall much better than the (admittedly good for the day) LS-3/5a'a. The worst problem of the DQ-10 was the horrible piezo-electric "super-tweeter". Simply disconnecting it solved a lot of problems. More gains could be had by mirror-imaging the upper-frequency drivers and replacing the stock wiring and capacitors, but that kind of tweaking was just a glimmer on the horizon back then.

I never had a chance to hear the Rappaport or the Quattre, but I bet the system sounded a far sight better than just about anything else for back then, with the possible exception of tubed electronics from Audio Research, Marantz, or McIntosh, and ESLs from KLH or Quad.

As always, strictly my personal opinions, prone to error and not necessarily those of my employer or favorite reviewer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I was strongly influenced by him as well... - Charles Hansen 23:34:30 06/25/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.