Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Before and after speaker measurements.

Do you know if this was the only speaker tested. I can't see any scientist taking one sample and then applying the conclusion to all speakers in existence.

I bought a pair of B&W DM 302s in the 1990s and for the first ten hours the speaker would make very LOUD popping sounds akin to popcorn in the microwave. It would only do it for a little while and then go away - after the first 10 hours it never did it again. So technically that is break in.

Also did the PSB use rubber surrounds or foam surrounds - That likely matters as well.

I asked Peter Qvortrup of Audio Note years ago about break in. And he said no break in on metal tweeters or speaker drivers using rubber surrounds. The Audio Note K used rubber surrounds (which I was asking about) back in the day but has now been switched to better sounding foam. The K used a silk dome tweeter and paper woofer.

My memory of the Stratus Gold is that it used some sort of plastic woofer and metal tweeters. Plastic or Kevlar with a rubber surround versus many others using paper/foam.

The materials matter. On the one hand you don't want drift - but on the other hand it could be argued that some drivers have known drift where they know what the driver will be 40 hours or 400 hours of use where it takes this long for the driver to reach it sweetspot and will be what it will be for the next 25 years.

Similar to break pads on cars or just a basic pair of shoes. Buy a pair of should and immediately run 8miles and see what happens. Versus buying the same shoes walking around for two weeks and THEN going for the run. Runners know that the first poor fool is going to have blisters with their own blisters! The second guy will be fine.

Edits: 06/20/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.