Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Can the Audio Research VTM150 story finally be told?

To JA; I have tried to find some backstory on the ARC-Stereophile fracas-for lack of a better term-that lasted, what-almost ten years?-following Mike Fremer's review of the then-$14,000/pair ARC VTM150's. The review is commendably posted on your website, but nothing in the way of a manufacturer response. Yes, I notice that none of the archived reviews include manufacturer responses. IIRC, ARC never formally responds and did not to that review. Hasn't enough time passed to tell the untold particulars? I would love to know if it was William Zane Johnson himself that picked up the phone and vented in purple prose or if someone down the corporate ladder simply communicated that ARC would no longer advertise and submit equipment for review and I would love to know exactly what they found to be so unfair about Mikey's review. Mikey alluded to the rift when he started his glowing review of the Ref 6, but the details remain untold. Can't it be laughed about and told by now? I am an unabashed ARC fan and own ARC gear. Please give me somethin'.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Can the Audio Research VTM150 story finally be told? - FSonicSmith 14:23:32 06/17/17 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.