Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Generation Loss?

Record's [sic] have another thing CD's don't have, the cartridge on the record is also a microphone of sorts, it's picks up some amount of room sound while playing the record and that goes back for another pass through the system. It isn't much but you can hear it if you put one speaker in another room, put on an old record but not rotating and set the needle down on the lead in. Then turn the volume up to a normal level and have friends talk or the tv on so you can hear how much is coming out of the speaker in the other room. After doing this in the old days, I ended up putting the Thorens on a granite slab on springs and using a brass weight to keep the record down as much as possible.

That's not a fault of the media, its a fault of the playback apparatus, which clearly has problems! Its not that hard to solve that one BTW- my 'table has no issues with that at all.

Its the initial encoding of the audio which is an area where the problem exists. Once there, sure you can copy it endlessly (much to the dismay of the music industry) but the damage was done on the initial encoding and does not seem to be something that the consumer can fix with better gear (although that certainly helps).

Don't get me wrong- I'm not against digital. I want it to work. I'm just pointing out that when the industry does not think it has a problem, it won't do anything to fix it. That's the case and that is why no matter how much we talk about it, the LPs are still around decades on. They're old but not obsolete.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.