Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: It's not just hearing. Experience, understanding, ability to

What gets me is that so many of them use rooms without any treatment. Room acoustics play a huge role on how something sounds. Variations of 20db or more is typical. Imagine a child with an equalizer and that's what a room's frequency response will be with most any speaker. This is from first hand experience as well as seeing posts where someone had posted their room response.
That said it's my guess that many of their reviews can be biased because of circumstances. What I mean is that speaker A may have just have unpleasant peaks or dips in Joe's room but in Sally's room the peaks and dips will be in different places which will affect their opinion of a speaker. I respect their opinions but not nearly so much as I did before I learned more about room acoustics.
Room treatments minimize this problem to a substantial degree. To me room treatments should be in every single professional critics listening room so that all speakers get a fair shake. Audiograms could be important also but being that we all have our own opinions I think it's a moot point.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It's not just hearing. Experience, understanding, ability to - warnerwh 00:40:34 04/10/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.