Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Only ask TAS or another review publication? What about the manufacturer? Its a two way street. nt

Accommodation pricing is a courtesy offered to the entire industry, not just reviewers. For example, an employee of a hifi store may qualify or a tech at a stereo repair shop. It's still up to the manufacturer and they set the price. And they can and do say no.

Audio Research refused to sell me a preamp I was interned in buying. They didn't really have a reason. I have never reviewed or owned any ARC products. Maybe because I was writing for TAS at the time and there was some kind of issue with them that I was unaware of?

And VPI said no because they said they couldn't afford to give away any more free turntables to reviewers. I wanted to buy a turntable not get one free. But I'd love to know who did get all the free VPI turntables. Stand up and be counted.

Both of these instances happened a long time ago so things may have changed now. I never called either back again. The point here being that accommodation pricing is not a guarantee, at least not in my experience. I did purchase a few review samples such as my Coincident speakers and Atma-Sphere preamp and am still happy with both after at least a decade of use.

Please forgive any typos. I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

Sue

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.