Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Reviewers with LP - how many are there ?

A hard thing to do - find the reviewers who use LP as a *primary* listening source. Digital would be secondary (or no digits at all). I cannot prove anything here. It's based on recent reviews and the strong comments they made.

It seems (most) of Stereophile, Absolute Sound and (all) Enjoythemusic writers use digital as a primary source. Audiostream, which has a few writers, is all-digital. But they are a digital website.

Virtually all Soundstage/Ultra Audio, Stereotimes and PFO writers use digital as primary.

David Robinson (of PFO) always put LP first - but seems to prefer the Gryphon Kalliope DAC nowadays. Robert Youman (also of PFO) seems to like the Esoteric K-01x or T+A DAC as much as vinyl.

About 6 years ago, James Darby (editor of StereoMojo) gave up his turntable for a Lampizator DAC. Two more editors -Steve Rochlin (of Enjoythemusic) and Jeff Dorgay (of Toneaudio) did the same for the Gryphon Kalliope DAC. These last 2 could still be using LP as secondary sources, however.

Marshall Nack (of PFO) seem to have put the CH Precision DAC in front of his LP gear. Marc Mickelson (of Audiobeat) said recently that the DCS stack he reviewed was the equal (or better) than his reference turntable. A first for him.

Ken Micallef (of PFO) seems to use digital as much as LP these days, after his Line Magnetic DAC review.

I could go on, but here's the "last of the bunch" for pure LP:

Michael Fremer, Jon Valin, Greg Weaver, Jack Roberts, Art Dudley, Herb Reichert, Paul Seydor, Miles Astor, Ron Nagle, Rick Becker, Dick Olsher. But even here, Dick loved the Monarchy DAC so much, it could be tied with LP.

Fascinating how few, out of (roughly) 130 U.S. based reviewers. And out-right shocking that this happened *after* LP improved -greatly- over the past 30 years.

'Digital' means Red Book CD (resolution) for most of our files. And this means the impossible happened: a 'low-rez' digital format defeated much-improved LP. Going back in time, did anyone think this would happen ?

Edits: 03/03/17 03/03/17 03/03/17 03/03/17 03/03/17 03/03/17 03/03/17 03/04/17 03/04/17 03/04/17 03/04/17 03/04/17 03/04/17 03/04/17 03/04/17 03/05/17 03/05/17 03/07/17 03/07/17 03/10/17 03/12/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Reviewers with LP - how many are there ? - J. Phelan 18:48:26 03/03/17 (43)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.