Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Stereophile / Do Your Homework

Hi,
In the new Stereophile, Feb. 2017 John Atkinson wrote on the first page, As We See It, a really good letter explaining that Stereophile will review all audio gear no matter what the price. The rest of the issue does exactly that. Schitt and Rega gear were represented and to me show what Hi-fi can do with affordability and performance.
But, if you do your homework there is a questionable deal within the mags pages. It is Art Dudleys review of the little Norwegian (Little Fwend).This is a small devise which lifts your tonearm up at the end of a record playing on a manual turntable.
Art did his homework in saying it resembled Audio Technica's AT 6006 Safety Raiser. It's almost a perfect clone of the Audio Technica of which I bought in 1980 for 20 bucks new. The Little Fwend costs 249.00.
I had a hard time in algebra and spent some time in summer for a sub-standard performance in geometry so could someone explain the rate of inflation here? I know things cost more than they did yesterday but....do your homework!
One thing that I wished John Atkinson addressed in his letter was who were the people that were able to keep Rockport and YGA's orders backed up. My guess is Saudi Arabia or Dubai, I hope I spelled that right. I've lived in Maine all my 60 years and can't conceive anyone being able to justify the over a 100 grand for a pair of speakers.
I'm not complaining here, I'm just puzzled....sincerely....Mark Korda......read the latest Stereophile, it's really good!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Stereophile / Do Your Homework - mark.korda@myfairpoint.net 08:07:22 01/11/17 (30)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.