Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

"The live experience" There is no such thing

It's like talking about "the flavor of food." Ther is no singular thing that is the sound of live music. The sound of live music runs the gamut of amazing to total crap. If JGH and HP really thought that this was some kind of reference then they clearly lacked meaningful experience with live music. 10th row center at Disney Hall with the Berlin Phil playing is no more live, and no more real than listening to a high school band from the far corner of the high school auditorium. Those "live experiences" those two versions of the "sound of live music" are no more or less real than the other. But they could not be more different. You can see the same live concert from two very different seats in the same concert hall and get two very very different sounds and experiences. This idea that there is some reference there is ridiculous.

And as for hearing what is on the recording...recordings have no intrinsic sound. You can't hear what is on the recording without coloring it with a playback system and the idea that your system will match that which was used to master any recording is pretty much nil. But if you are willing to listen to shit sound with the belief that there is some higher cause with "accuracy" is your choice. I'd rather have it sound good.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.