Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

What is the point

The point is simply that MQA is being promoted thru media push and not through rational discussion of pros and cons at a technical and prospective consumer demonstration level.

MQA is a psychoacoustic software and hardware system. It is closed and web retailers are trying to sell MQA music at £16 a go, without the ability for users to compare file 'before and after'. So the sales model seems to be: let journalists write about the merits and let consumers be tempted towards its widespread adoption.

The 2L stuff is a red herring as, if you audition the same files at different resolution levels, they sound different in themselves anyway. And I have not seen comparisons of the original DXD files with the MQA ones using the same dac.

Take a recording like Kinds of Blue being written about wrt the merits of MQA. If you reverse the phase of the music being played, you can end up with 'an opening of the soundstage' and the other superlatives that have been bestowed on the format.

What is needed is a much more clear headed and valid approach to MQA v hires comparisons.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • What is the point - fmak 07:31:32 11/03/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.