Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Not a question of space

I 100% with you.

Just like if you put "on-axis frequency response, +/-1dB, 20Hz to 20kHz," there's a pretty standard way to verify it that the audio industry accepts. You put "lossless" in front a file-compression scheme, there is likewise standardized ways to test/measure that (compress, uncompress, all day long if you wish).

MQA definitely isn't being picked on. They simply put some claims out there that raised the eyebrows of people, including me.

Furthermore, I think what many people have objected to is the over-the-top coverage that some publications (print and online) have given it. As I mentioned, though, we have given it very little.

Speaking of very little, while traveling here I looked through "Sound on Sound" magazine, which is about 5X as thick as the thickest hi-fi print magazine and seemingly close to a bible for recording. But I couldn't see one mention of MQA in all of their articles in this issue. Could it be that all the hype is a small segment of the audiophile press -- and we all know how small that segment is and how much of an impact that will have on acceptance (basically, nothing).

Doug

Edits: 11/02/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.