Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Why not?

Hi Jim,

Glad we're in general agreement. But what you bring up raises precisely the kinds of questions I asked before. However, before I get to that, know, I didn't see that paper. I'll look for it.

As for the time-smear fix. From what I understand, they're basically correcting the impulse response of the ADC and DAC. But many engineers have asked: "What if multiple ADCs were used to record a single track? And what about cascading DACs?" How can one possibly correct for all of that?

And what does this time-smear fix "sound" like. This is where comparisons are in order. Real comparisons. Plus, why not make a very simple recording using a worst-case scenario ADC that smears time, as MQA puts it. Smear the hell out of it, then "unsmear" it. Exacerbate the problem all you want my smearing certain instruments, even test tones. There are ways, with loudspeakers, you can exacerbate issues with high-order slopes, for example (or even low-order ones). Let's do the same here and prove that it works.

Now to your problem -- my past life installing networks would say: "Ok, that's a problem for you and we might have to reduce the bandwidth - for YOU." (Providing other solutions don't work.) But what about me and countless others who don't have the issue -- why do we want to use a lossy compression scheme when we really don't have to?

Doug

Edits: 11/02/16 11/02/16 11/02/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Why not? - Doug Schneider 09:17:46 11/02/16 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.