Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Dreaming in Technicolor...

Hi Michael,

Yes, I remember you there, but you're talking specifically about comparisons and, sorry, I brought it up to various people, probably you, that no valid comparisons were done -- and as far as I could tell, they weren't. That's why I asked Bob Stuart to do one -- and he wouldn't.

These non-comparison demos were so important to me that I brought Brent Butterworth along to judge for himself, and he wrote the article below.

So as I said, this conversation about you pointing out valid comparisons -- sorry, didn't occur. In fact, it couldn't have occurred as there were none! I mean, it's well known that there hasn't been proper comparisons done. Even when I talked on the phone to Bob Stuart, he told me they had no interest in doing them. So how could've they been done.

Now, I did have the thought just a few minutes ago that it is possible that you don't know what a valid comparison would be like -- that it isn't simply picking a CD off the shelf and comparing it to some new file being played. Or that it isn't just taking someone's word for it who said, "oh, it's better." Maybe that's it.

Just for the record, valid comparisons would have very careful and transparent authentication as to what you're listening to as source files and then going from there (there'd have to be some hardware considerations too). What a comparison ISN'T is simply playing a version of "Riders On the Storm" and not knowing where it came from and having everyone simply go "oh, wow, that's the best I've ever heard."

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Edits: 10/31/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.