Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Hey JimiAustin: MQA Enabled ADCs

Hey Jim:

When I asked:

"Why didn't Meridian produce an ADC that does all the SO CALLED "de-blurring" and time domain correction RIGHT from the get go?"

You replied:

"Your question doesn't even make sense. It's clear you don't understand the technology."

So it is YOU who clearly do not understand the technology.

From a Q&A with Bob Stuart on CA:

"Q23. It has been stated that MQA enabled ADCs will be available for the pro market (think Mytek):

Will these ADCs be delta-sigma based with decimation for PCM output?
If yes, where in the conversion stage will be MQA participating withits de-blurring technology: is
it in the decimation stage?

As a summary: what will be the main technological difference between a top-notch MQA
certified ADC and the already existing top-notch non-certified ADCs like Meitner, Merging,
Metric Halo or Apogee.

What are the technical requirements for a certified A/D converter?

A23. MQA ADCs comply with the triple goals of: i) specific, complementary and compact kernel; ii) very low modulation noise; iii) losslessly reversible archive metadata. Yes, delta-sigma architecture is acceptable but not required. The key differences are in the signal processing which can, in many professional designs, be updated in software. Further details on this are confidential and provided to our licensed partners.

Q28. Can you explain the difference between adding MQA during mastering process vs recording?

A28. MQA is involved in recording if an MQA ADC is used. In mastering the tools can optimise the stems or mix according to the producer's wishes and previews. MQA can be used in mastering as described in Q18."

So when I said get your story straight, I meant it. You also continue to claim that MQA was not intended as archival tool yet there are numerous questions and answers about MQA being used during tracking, mixing, and mastering.

Edits: 10/30/16 10/30/16 10/30/16 10/30/16 10/30/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Hey JimiAustin: MQA Enabled ADCs - Isaak J. Garvey 22:49:49 10/30/16 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.