Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: How do YOU feel about MQA?

Hi Mike,

I really have no idea what you're referring to exactly. I know we talked in Munich, but I don't recall anything about Peter McGrath's recordings.

In any event, I don't feel too bad about beating any drum because it's important to ask some questions. If you read my editorial from earlier this year, I asked a lot of questions about MQA and, also, exactly what writers at CES 2016 were actually listening to. I believe it's pretty clear that proper comparisons weren't really done back then. As far as my questions go, I never got very good answers, either. And in the time since, I've had many more come to mind, as have others.

Shouldn't someone be asking these questions? Surely, you can see on the forum, that there are a lot of people who have similar questions and concerns.

I think the biggest thing, though, is the lack of proper comparisons. From what I can tell, they're just not being done. And when I talk to manufacturers who have explored it, they're finding the same. It's on the folks at MQA, not us, to provide that.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Edits: 10/27/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.