Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

On the contrary

I think people today are taking far more photos than they ever have in the past. What I see happening is that average people are ditching their compact point & shoot cameras because smart phone cameras have become good enough for most. That whole mainstream segment of the camera market is practically gone. The DSLR market was hot during the megapixel race as enthusiasts kept upgrading every few years, but that race is largely over now. And it seems like most of the tech investments are focused on miniaturization, i.e. the smart phone camera.

The last cameras my wife and I purchased were a Nikon D90 and a Panasonic Lumix TZ5 in 2008. We used to use the P&S about 2/3 of the time and the DSLR the rest. The Lumix was one of the better P&S cameras on the market at the time, but it wasn't good enough to be our only camera, particularly for low light and shallow depth of field. Then my wife got a Nokia 1020 phone and it is a better camera than the Lumix in nearly every way except response time, which is a drawback with most phone cameras but particularly bad with this one. Now 80% of our photos and 100% of our videos come from the phone.

We still use the Nikon but only when we're needing to use the fast prime or wide zoom. By DSLR standards, our D90 is ancient and it is gimped with an APS-C sensor. But it's the lenses that really matter, so I don't feel any urge to upgrade.

Regarding high end audio, if you visit one of the bigger shows, it appears to be booming. Check this out:

http://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?10531-2016

It seems like there are more manufacturers than ever before with new ones popping up all the time, products are coming to market faster than ever, and there are more shows than ever. In my area, nearly all of the high end audio dealers that were around 15 years ago are still here, and a few new ones have shown up.

The thing that really seems to be in decline is home theater, and by extension multichannel audio.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • On the contrary - Dave_K 06:59:02 07/05/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.