Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Mercman's Playback Designs review

Sorry Steve but I have to say it was a poor review. IMO, you need to say up-front why you are reviewing these products from the many products at many price points on the market. From my POV, this product is well out of reach of many $$$-wise so there needs to be something said at the very outset to inspire interest & read on. This didn't happen.

Launching into a lengthy quote so early in the piece (2nd paragraph) is poor style. It's like you have diluted your own authorship by an easy grab for someone else's words; particularly so when the substance of the grab is an elaboration of the nexus between wine & musical experience. The whole call-the-fine-audio-thing-a-fine-wine-thing has been done before e.g. Supratek (now defunct). I thought you would have been savvy to this old idea and would have angled the story toward cutting edge technology & design (presumably) from the get-go but by the end of the second paragraph I'm thinking: this designer is sounding pretty dull..

Anyway, I got as far as "..finished with a brushed aluminum finish. " (4th paragraph). By this time I was thinking the piece was crying out for an editor and I was wasting my time..

I just want to add a few words about Michael Lavorgna & Audiostream more generally. Often I see a flashy pictorial splash & intro on the front page of the A'Stream site with a link to what one assumes to be the follow-on article. However, the follow-on article turns out to be a no-show in that it is only a few words more. It's like I am being offered a drink but am passed an empty glass instead.. Recently, I noted Michael's "piece" on the contents of his bag. Sorry, not interested in facebook audio.. In all, I have the impression that A'stream is desperate for content and that any old thing will do. Consequently, I visit the site as little as possible.

BTW, I do appreciate your contributions on AA & hope the above is constructive in some way. I do understand that we are all too demanding in the modern era where attention spans are brief and the "consumer is king". I am hopeful that A'Stream's game can be lifted because I think they need to be.

P.S. I did want to email you my thoughts rather than post them but you don't accept unsolicited mail.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Mercman's Playback Designs review - Audio Bling 20:37:59 06/17/16 (38)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.