Critic's Corner

Further thoughts on reviews

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Critic's Corner ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I try to engage the manufacturer in the review process, either by requesting the component for a review loan (usually 60 days) or confirming that a component I purchased represents current manufacture. And for the last few years I have sent manufacturers notices when the review is posted and solicited a "manufacturer's comment", which is published unedited when received.

I don't think I agree with your cost assessment for solid-state and tubes. Top-tier, satisfying solid state is available and can be very, very good, but until recently, it was also very, very expensive: around $20,000 or more. Below that general price, to borrow a tag line from Manley Labs, "Tubes Rule". Recently though, it is possible to get very good solid state amps under $10k. The Aesthetix Atlas and Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla 2000 Second Edition (my current fave) are good examples.

To your comment on fairness. I feel that I am very fair and re-read and edit each review for days. My primary constituency is the consumer. Sometimes, as you know, you can't please everyone and to make a point, I have to be ruthlessly revealing, as they say. Some manufacturers, like Cary, accept criticism like gentlemen and still link to the review. Others, like Atmasphere (an extreme example), have the opposite reaction. Reviews are just another data point, after all.

The fact of this extensive thread seems to imply that 10 Audio has "arrived", growing from a little hobby to a relevant contribution to our shared interest. So I offer a sincere "thank you" to everyone and continue to wish you all...

Happy listening.

Regards,
JerryS

Edits: 06/30/12

Follow Ups: