Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: What is a magazine?

>> You must realize that these SE amps ARE in fact modern creations. there were close to zero high-aspiration single ended amps in the olden days. Even the fabled Western Electric 91 theater amp was the "economy" model compared to the push pull Model 86. SE amps were for clock radios and such.

In other words, there was no Gordon Rankin in 1939 ;op

I don't see Art pushing vintage per se. I take his orientation to be to cut through the ad copy and find the gear that gets the music across for him...and maybe it will work for the next guy also.

Surely he has heard enough hyped-up but roundly mediocre "latest thing" gear in his decades behind the pen. Worthy classics such as EMT cartridges and Thorens 124s provide an implicit critique of the tragic overpolished junk going around (without naming names) while reminding us what timeless quality and lasting satisfaction are all about.

WHAT difference does it make when item X was designed or originally conceived? Are we really smarter then we used to be? I doubt it.

We can listen to old and new in the here and now. That's the only way we can listen. One of the best ways to learn and map out paths for future progress. Take it from there, come what may.

To quote Funkadelic again "Change your mind and you change your relation to time"

Be good to your Earhole, y'all!

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What is a magazine? - Joe Roberts 10:51:43 07/25/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.