Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Those seconds, after stylus touches the surface, but before the track starts - ...

One could blind the test by mixing in (analog style) another track that consisted of nothing but silent grooves with their rumble and ticks and pops. This would not make it immediately obvious which was being played. It would take an actual difference in the music to tell.

When I transfer analog tapes to digital I do not mute the space between the tracks. I carry over the analog noise from the cassette. The effect is to make the noise less noticeable. If CDs are made with "digital black" in between their tracks it is a sign of poor mastering. The CD would have a better presentation if it tried to preserve as much of the residual analog noise (electronic as well as room tone) throughout the entire recording. (Comment applies only to CD albums that are produced as an artistic whole. It does not apply to CDs that are compilations of separate singles.)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.