Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: That's ridiculous!

You really need to learn to read. And then think. What I have said, clearly and consistently, is that blind listening or tasting tests will determine what each listener or taster thinks is superior. Often that will be different for each person. The blind tests remove bias for everyone. I NEVER choose audio components OR wines that I have rated poorly in blind tests. NEVER! But, yes, I still want all reviewers to listen or taste blind. I remember a pinot noir tasting that the New York Times conducted several years ago. In the morning, wines from France, California, and Oregon were tasted, and rated, knowing the identity of each wine. The French wines were rated first, followed by those from Oregon, and then by the California wines. In the afternoon, the EXACT same wines were tasted and rated, but this time BLIND. The result? California wines came out first, followed by the Oregon wines, and, then, by all those famous, expensive reds from France in last place!!! The same thing occurs in audio: unless the listener compares components blind, bias is sure to make itself felt. We ALL have biases. Blind testing removes those biases.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.