Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Further thoughts on subwoofer phase

I mentioned phase above, and I think a little clarification is due. From my Velodyne Optimum-12 review:

"In many installations, the subwoofer is sitting behind the main speakers. The distance between the front of the sub and the front of the main speakers is often in the range of 1 to 5 feet. Sound travels at about 1 foot per millisecond. The sound of the sub is about 1 to 5 milliseconds behind the sound from the main speakers. To match the phase of the main speakers, the sub’s output would have to be advanced 1 to 5 milliseconds, or .36 to 1.8 degrees. Phase controls cannot predict what will be coming into the sub’s input 5 ms in the future. They can only delay the sub’s output, which is just the opposite of what we need. In unusual installations, or if the main speakers are wired out of phase, or for severe problems in the bass response of a listening room, the phase control could have value. But for a more standard installation, as in my room, leaving the phase control at “0” is best because the error is small."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Further thoughts on subwoofer phase - JerryS 10:07:01 06/30/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.