Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Context

A reader should assume that the Krell amp was fully evaluated with all of the gear (although certainly not in every possible combination) listed in paragraph 4:

"Other components on hand during the audition included a SOTA Cosmos IV vacuum turntable with Triplanar VII u2 tonearm, SOTA Satellite turntable with Origin Live Zephyr tonearm, Basis 2500 turntable with Vector 4 tonearm, Miyajima Kansui and Premium Mono phono cartridges, Benz LP-S phono cartridge, Bob's Devices CineMag 3440 step-up transformers and Bob's new CineMag 1131 "Blue" step-up transformers, Mark Levinson No. 326S solid-state preamplifier with built-in phono stage, Rogue Ares phono preamplifier, Whest PS.30RDT Special Edition phono preamplifier, Prism Orpheus Digital Interface with custom Windows 7 computer/music server, YG Acoustics Kipod II Signature Main Modules, Dali Mentor 5 speakers (from the home theater system), and Gallo TR-3 subwoofers. Power amplifiers included Levinson 532H, Classe CT-M300, B&K Reference 125.2, Cary SA200.2, and Manley Snappers. All interconnects and speaker cables are Mogami. All front end components, including the preamplifiers, receive their AC power from a PS Audio AV-5000 power conditioner which is connected to the wall power with a 1 meter length of PS Audio PerfectWave AC-10 power cord. Other AC-10s were used elsewhere in the system, and I use Jerry's DIY power cord on the music computer and Levinson preamp. An Audience aR2p-TO power conditioner or PS Audio Quintet is normally used for power amplifiers; however, plugging the amplifier directly into a wall socket had very little impact on the findings below."

Writing negative reviews is not at all enjoyable. Since this product's musical performance was so underwhelming (but evenhanded, hence the passable "6 LP" rating), I gave just a few examples of music to highlight just a few weaknesses. IMO, the results are still apparent even without more examples of the specific music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Context - JerryS 09:53:02 06/30/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.