Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

He purchased the review sample !!

Re: “no-where in his comments did he say that he was basing the review on the performance of the unit with junk tubes. Do you think he was ‘honest’?”

Exerpts from the December 1993 Stereophile review of Atma-Sphere MP-1 by Steven Stone (Vol. 16 No. 12).

PHONO SECTION
“It’s ironic that a product designed by a totally over-the-top analog fanatic should have problems in the phono section. Two of the three gain stages in the MP-1 are for the phono section, but I’m afraid that owners of low-output moving-coil cartridges may find the phono section’s S/N inadequate for their favorite cartridge. I tried as many different makes of 12AT7 as I could lay my hands on to try to squeeze every bit of signal I could out of the MP-1. I finally settled on RAM TubeWorks Super Select low-noise tubes ($60 each retail!) for the primary phono positions. Still, using my EMT/van den Hul cartridge (0.75mV output), the noise of electrons rushing through the tubes was as loud as many recordings’ surface noise.”

SUMMARY
“Any attempt on my part to reduce my enthusiasm for the MP-1 in print or in the real world has been futile. I’m quite entranced by this preamplifier.”

And the last paragraph of the review…

“I’ve always felt that the highest praise a reviewer can bestow upon a product are the three little words, “I’m buying it.” The Atma-Sphere MP-1 has tripped that special little switch deep inside my head. What more can I say? Yes, I’m buying it.”
(End excerpts)

I’m not sure how the reviewers “highest praise” works out to be a “pan” of the MP-1 but imagine what sales would have been if he hated it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.