Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: What would reviewers own...

To answer your question: DeVore Supper 8: YBA Passion Integrated, Cary 306 CDP, and Acoustic Zen Cables, all of which I reviewed and would have happily paid full retail and in my estimation would be what I could afford without an industry accommodation.

However, after 11 years of reviewing and career advancement (non-audio related) I spent more money on a gear that I found to be more enjoyable. Why not, I could afford it. While the industry accommodation as facilitated the amassing of a system that I would not have otherwise been able to afford, it is nonetheless I system that I love to listen to and does not diminish the system that I would have without the accommodation.

Is it the premise of this debate that reviewer "A" would rather spend $5k on an inferior $10K component just because it can be purchased at $5K? Whatever I spend - it is the on the most enjoyable component that I can afford - just like everyone else using their "hard earned" money.

I have a family and all the obligations that go with it; I don't spend money because I can get X "on sale". That is ridiculousness.

For the record, I have never been witness to any of the reviewer-manufacturer shenanigans that folks here seem to think is rampant.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What would reviewers own... - OwenMeany 13:39:41 06/20/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.