Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Critics being critical: 10 Audio pans the Krell S-275

First, Yes I am not a fan of the gear they rave about - Bryston for example. They raved about it and attached a rating. I read the rating and said gee I would require a ton of effort to have it "take me there".

So I used the word "personally" I would not put much stock int them. I certainly don't deny what I said - I disagree with their take on what is good. So personally as a person - I would not find their reviews particularly helpful.

Second, the more important issue and the "main point" was they ripped into something without, IMO, giving it a fair shake (at least it's not explained that way to me from the text). I have said why I felt that way even though I might agree with them on the sound of the unit (have not heard it but I have heard other more costly Krells). But then I would not review a Krell unless I liked what I heard at a show in a home or a dealer or somewhere.

Third - I suppose I took a shot at them and perhaps I should have thought about it because I have an R beside my name but I am a person/audiophile first. And frankly I felt Krell deserved a helluva lot better.

If you're going to review something negatively that can have serious effects on their business and could cost people jobs due to a lack of sales then you owe it to them to be bloody well thorough when you do it.

That does not mean you should placate the manufacturer because the consumer is owed the truth - certainly - but I think they deserve a really in depth detailed reasoning for why it wasn't liked. I would never deliberately review something I didn't like - and I don't like very much which is a reason I have so few reviews because unlike many I don't review "everything" to make a name for myself nor am I going to rip something to make a name for myself so I can seem more "objective."

I just find it irritating that a negative review is always latched onto to seem more "objective" as if a negative review is some holy grail to the truth.

This is the review industry - people review gear. People disagree with takes on things. I'm from the Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel school who I loved watching for all the years I was old enough to remember. They'd argue all the time about each others' ratings.

I see no problem with a debate about products - I disagree with probably half the reviews out there - in Stereophile, TAS, 6moons and dagogo and they with me no doubt. I also don't see why that can't be said on a forum. It sure would make forums a lot more FUN! Heck Gene and Roger would argue about movies they both liked because one didn't like it enough. It was a hoot. And a very successful hoot I might add.

In this thread I was called a hack reviewing another hack. Doesn't bother me.

I don't think reviewers, review publications, political parties, religion, should go unscathed from debate because they're encased in publications or corporations. Also, I don't think because you have an R or an M or a D beside your name you have to have a gag order placed over your mouth to call it like you see it.

Granted I am not American but isn't there something about Free Speech - If I write that I think the Audio Note OTO is a terrific EL 84 amplifier and someone from TAS tells me he thinks it's poo that's fine with me - we discuss it get into one of those 57 response spiral debates that ends in "you're deaf" - "no you are" and it's settled.

That's why the magazines are so successful - they have so many different "tastes" reviewing the gear. One guy may buy Stereophile for Art Dudley because they like tubes and SETs and value and High efficiency, other read Art to see what zany bad measuring thing he's going to like next, others read so they can rant about some political comment he makes - and that's just one guy. Then you have Fremer and the more watts is better sound camp and diametrically opposed love for vinyl. Then others read for the measurements. JA doesn't need to enter discussions about e-zines that are mere blips on his map - in fact doing so may just increase competitor readership - so why bother?

And to be clear I even get your valid criticism of me entering this discussion and my "shot" about their preferences. And I totally understand why you think the classy thing for me to have done would have been to not post. Can't please all the people all of the time.

Edits: 06/20/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Critics being critical: 10 Audio pans the Krell S-275 - RGA 02:09:28 06/20/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.