Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Do you buy your equipment...

"Little jealously there?"

Nope, not at all. I was just pointing out the potential "conflict of interest" when a reviewer is given a special deal on something. Going off on a bit of tangent, to make the point another way, remember the scene in Casablanca when the Prefect of Police announced "I'm shocked, shocked, to find that gambling is going on", and then the roulette manager walks up with a wad of money and says "your winnings, sir". "Oh, thank you very much." :)

Actually, I rarely buy equipment anymore, being happy with what I've got for the most part (although I really need to stock up on VHS VCRs, 'cause I've got a boatload of tapes!). I tend to avoid used stuff, only because you never know it's actual condition. Looking at my stuff, actually the only piece that I bought used is my turntable. A guy brought it into the store as a trade-in on a new Micro Seiki. Well, and my house, and a few LPs. Now, I DID get dealer pricing on my tape deck, and my other tape deck, my integrated amp, and my tuner, but that's because I worked for a dealer. ;) I wasn't telling people to buy this or that because I got a deal on it - I got dealer price on anything in the store. I just bought the stuff I liked. That's a whole different animal than a reviewer getting a deal on a product sent to him for review. Kinda taints the whole "reviewer" thingy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.