Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Can you cite some examples?

I took a look at Hi Fi Critic's web site and the index pages for a couple of years of the magazine, and I found no mention of blind testing. A search of the forums turned up lots of arguing over DBT and a reference to blind testing of music samples ripped via different methods, but nothing about routine use of blind testing by the reviewers.

In any case, given the realities of how the two US audio magazines are actually created - by freelance part - timers working in isolation and scattered around the country - I just don't see how it would be possible to keep the reviewers ignorant of what they're reviewing. One obvious problem is that the components arrive by UPS at the reviewer's home and and have to be installed into his or her system. You may be fortunate enough to have a wife who is competent to make changes to your system, but you can't assume everyone has such an assistant. I definitely wouldn't have wanted my wife messing with my gear back when I wrote for Listener. She's flummoxed by the Dish Network remote control; I can just imagine her trying to mount a phono cartridge or five!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.