Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Critics being critical: 10 Audio pans the Krell S-275

From a recent review on 10 Audio by I believe Jerry Siegel:

"The resolution, or ability to clearly hear bass strings or a bass drum head vibrating, is lacking."

"Voices in the midrange and lower treble sound dull and lacking in sparkle and air."

"There is little feeling of 3-dimensional space and it is rarely possible to sense of the size of the recording venue."

"At $5500, I suggest that while the amplifier is built to a high standard, the S-275 is overpriced for the level of performance it offers. The Cary SA-200.2 is much more musically involving and enjoyable for $1500 less."

Ouch. The reviewer assigns the amp 6 stars, a non-price-adjusted ranking that compares to 9 for the Cary 200.2, 8.5 for the Pass X250.5, or 9.5 for the Wyred4Sound ST-1000.

An alternative view is presented in a careful Audiogon write-up by poster Dalovell that is much more positive, although it too is critical of the S-275's bass.

If I were in the market for a power amp, I would be flummoxed by the two widely different views and would probably strike the Krell from my shopping list just for convenience, despite being very conscious of the potential for 10 Audio to have got it wrong.

Do you agree with the 10 Audio review? Is it more trustworthy than the Audiogon write-up? How do you evaluate such different reactions?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Critics being critical: 10 Audio pans the Krell S-275 - jult52 10:25:45 06/14/12 (138)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.