Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: The basic problem

I recently mastered an album. The original master resides on my computers. I burned a copy of this master on CD-R and gave it to an associate to load into a CD replicating machine. I also converted the file into several formats and uploaded them to a server. Since the ablum was released we have sold some physical copies but more downloads. Two days ago the artist who made the album asked me to send a copy of the WAV files. Rather than burn another "coaster" and ship it all the way to New Zealand, I loaded the WAV files into a shared Dropbox folder and sent an email. Now she has these master WAV files. I think it should be pretty clear that the three of us (plus the paying customers) "have" this music.

This may pass over the head of people who think physically, but the fact is that music resides in the mental sphere. A musical performance is a pattern of information. It is not a physical object. Even more to the point, none of us actually "has" anything material, not even our own body. Our very existence is contingent and transitory. Our very existence is in many respects an illusion. Another way of putting this is that we exist only through God's grace.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The basic problem - Tony Lauck 11:45:04 06/08/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.