Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Is this the article?

I want my audio system to sound as close to live music (the absolute sound) as possible. That means, among other things, that my system is capable of reproducing the sound of, say, a trumpet aimed at a mike. Ditto for the sound of cymbals heard live. A system down 12 dB at 10,000, compared to 60 Hz will sound WAY too mellow. JA, your gear (and room and furnishings) produces a much more accurate sound than ART's system (in his room, and with his beloved SETs or mellow tube gear). Clearly, Art is not bothered by an amp or speaker or system that has a tipped up bass and laid-back highs (compared to live music). Art loves a sound that is mellow and easy to listen to, even on average or poor recordings. Art is clearly in the "it sounds good to me" camp (as opposed to the absolute sound camp). What systems like Art's lack, IMO, is PRAT. Listen to a guitar: not only do the notes have decay, they also have stunning attack! One record I use to test for PRAT is my vinyl (of course) record "Masters of the Guitar" LSC-2717. When I play this record via most tube gear (including SET and Shindo tubes) and speakers like the Audio Note, the stunning, and exciting, attack is missing. Of course, this means that PRAT is always lacking on such a system. The sound is often pleasant, mellow, rich, and easy-to-listen to. What it is not is high-end!

Of course, we all have different "reality triggers" when it comes to audio. Art clearly values timbre, tone and easy-to listen to gear. I also want timbre, and tone, but realize that poor recordings will NOT be easy-to-listen to. One reason why I have always favored hybred Audio research gear, is that they sacrifice very little when to comes to PRAT (compared to the best ss), combined with the fact that AR hybred gear sacrifices very little to SET or mellow tube amps when it comes to the decay of notes. I also favor speakers (like the Dunlavy SCIV) that are flat in frequency response (look at the measurements, both anechoic and in-room), compared to speakers like the Audio Note (or the BBC LS 3/5a). As a bonus, the Dunlavys have near perfect imaging. I am interested in speakers like the Golden Ear Technology Triton Two that are accurate. JA, I hope you review these speakers yourself, including in-room measurements.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Is this the article? - the old school 10:09:03 05/26/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.