Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: A Question for Reviewers who Own LS3/5As

Not sure I quite get the appeal of the speaker. There isn't much bass and it seems a bit bright to me. Please note I heard these here in Hong Kong at a dealer selling Rogers and was running it on an impressive looking Rogers tube amplifier (Cadet V) - see link.

The problem was price - the speakers and the sub were going for over $2,000. I was listening in the nearfield (that may be the problem) but the upper mids and lack of bass (the sub is needed though frankly even with the sub it didn't seem to have any dynamics or a helluva lot of depth).

I tried it a few times to be sure. For half the price of the LS3/5a I picked up Audio Note's AX Two standmount which in corners seems to have more bass than the LS 3/5a even with the subwoofer. It's less bright and just as extended sounding in the treble too.

Granted the dealer was demoing the the AX Two with a CD 4.1 some sort of ridiculous dual volume control preamp and a power amp version of the Jinro with SOOTO or Sogon cables and their top Ref 3 turntable. Game over for female vocals Loreena McKennitt and piano on Jackson Browne's Pretender.

Is it possible that we annoint things classic status and then not turn over the rocks of newer products? Perhaps the new Rogers isn't the same as the old Rogers. Someone did mention this to me so maybe I'm not hearing the real deal. I liked Grant Fidelity's version of the LS3/5a at CES better - still doesn't have much bass. Not sure I would pay 4-5 times the price for this speaker over my old B&W DM 302 (which was a terrific bargain basement loudspeaker I still regret having sold - mainly cause the replacement model sounds worse - stupid metal tweeters and kevlar - black guards).

Edits: 05/18/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.