Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Firebird...

“...but aren't they also two different conductors and orchestras? Comparing apples and oranges.”

Obviously. But that’s usually the case when arriving at a *personal* preference. I prefer Randy Dunn’s big, tannic (when young) Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon to Silver Oak’s softer style. Different winemakers and vineyards resulting in *my* preference for Dunn’s approach. It’s called discrimination and people do it all the time when making personal choices.

My point about the early Telarc recordings is that to my ears they captured the essence of the hall and revealed a three dimensional aspect that was missing from most labels. I suspect this had much to do with recording technique and little to do with conductor, interpretation or orchestra. Again, Telarc's early recordings conveyed a convincing realism that was not evident on other labels. So it’s not as though the digital format is lacking in that respect.

Perhaps TAS said it best: “Stravinsky, Firebird. Atlanta, Shaw. Telarc (CD and SACD) A durably exciting Firebird, captured in vivid, dynamic stereo. Way back in the late 1970’s, Telarc was getting digital right before everyone else started getting it wrong.”

http://www.avguide.com/article/best-audiophile-label-recordings-classical-tas-197?page=3

I’ve always been curious as to why *classical* digital recordings failed to improve given Telarc’s promising start some 30-35 years ago. I think I understand why pop and other genres have failed: loudness wars, mixing consoles, lack of dynamic range, etc. But why do you suppose “everyone else started getting it wrong” after Telarc’s auspicious start? Or do you think TAS’s assessment is too severe and some digital recordings have gotten it right during the intervening years?

I'd be curious to read your thoughts and the thoughts of others regarding this issue.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.