Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: A question for reviewers

Hi Mike,

Good question. The following is how I review audio components though I can't speak for other reviewers. I usually spend a month (in total) listening to get a good assessment of a component. This amount of time allows for proper break-in and for changes, whether for placement of speakers or change in cables, etc. I listen to dozens of my favorite albums, and a few new ones during the audition. I will also listen to several compilation CDRs that I've made for reviewing purposes. When I'm ready to write the review I pick four or five of the favorites and perhaps one or two of the new albums to be included in the review. I rotate the favorite albums from review to review, sometimes depending on the component being audition. If I choose the same albums for every review, I think my readership will get bored fairly soon, or think I don't listen to new music. I'm a music lover first, so the equipment is just a means to get me to a more satisfyingly musical end.

It's different for audio shows. I have to make a quick assessment of the sound in a crummy hotel room, so I always bring my compilation CDRs and perhaps one or two CDs for that purpose. I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
Paul Mah
Stereo Times

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: A question for reviewers - paulmah@hotmail.com 12:53:51 04/25/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.