Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: How are the products to be reviewed selected?

While I sometimes find myself frustrated at the absence of credible reviews of a product I'm interested in and can't easily compare (sound cards, anyone?), I think there are a lot of good resources out there. The Internet, for one. Checking out the forums is a lot of work, many audiophile reviews seem to have been made by guys who have only compared something to itself, so you have to plow through a lot of threads to get a sense of consensus. But in my experience it eventually does emerge. Asking a critic personally can also be a valuable, since he may be freer to express an opinion of a product that he's heard only casually than he would be in print, or on the basis of what colleagues say.

You may not hear about everything, but you should learn enough to decide what's worth a listen. Reviews are only a starting point, anyway -- in my experience, you don't really know if something will work for you until you try it at home. But they significantly improve the odds, particularly when you know that a reviewer's tastes are similar to your own.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How are the products to be reviewed selected? - josh358 19:03:38 02/14/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.